Debian Day 30 years at IF Sul de Minas, Pouso Alegre - Brazil24/08/2023 por
by Thiago Pezzo, Debian contributor, pt_BR localization team
This year's Debian Day was a pretty special one, we are celebrating 30 years! Giving the importance of this event, the Brazilian community planned a very special week. Instead of only local gatherings, we had a week of online talks streamed via Debian Brazil's youtube channel (soon the recordings will be uploaded to our team's peertube instance).
Nonetheless the local celebrations happened around the country and one was organized in Pouso Alegre, MG, Brazil, at the Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia do Sul de Minas Gerais (IFSULDEMINAS - Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of the South of Minas Gerais). The Institute, as many of its counterparts in Brazil, specializes in professional and technological curricula to high school and undergraduate levels. All public, free and quality education!
The event happened on the afternoon of August 16th at the Pouso Alegre campus. Some 30 students from the High School Computer Technician class attended the presentation about the Debian Project and the Free Software movement in general. Everyone had a great time! And afterwards we had some spare time to chat.
I would like to thank all people who helped us:
- Professors Michelle Nery and Ismael David Muro (IFSULDEMINAS Pouso Alegre)
- Virginia Cardoso and Melissa de Abreu (IFSULDEMINAS Rector's Office)
- Giovani Ferreira (a DD living in Minas Gerais state)
- Felipe Maia (from Debian São Paulo - thanks for the posters!)
- Gustavo (a clever young student who made important comments about accessibility - thanks!)
- And a special thanks to all students who attended the presentation, hope to see you again!
Here goes our group photo: